Vineyards and Wineries on the North Fork of Long Island
Vineyards and Wineries on the North Fork of Long Island
For the best wine on Long Island, go no further than the Vineyards and Wineries on the North Fork of Long Island. Yes, the Hamptons on the South Fork of Long Island have those beautiful white sand beaches, while our lovely North Fork beaches are pebbly. It’s true, but join us here if you love to be where the wine is. So, when you stay at our B&B near Greenport, NY, you’ll be in the heart of Long Island Wine Country.
Far and away, the North Fork is where most Long Island wineries are clustered. The clustering is partly because of the sunny yet protected maritime climate. The glacial soils also drain well, providing enough nutrients and moisture for the vines. Many people on the East Coast still don’t realize that a tremendous wine-producing area is only a short drive away! However, wine lovers have gotten the message. The wine-making industry has grown considerably since the first winery, Hargrave Vineyards in Cutchogue, opened in 1975. It is now called The Borghese Vineyard. The Long Island Wine Region has over 55 wineries open to the public, with 4000+ acres of vines.
The American Viticultural Areas of Long Island–North Fork of Long Island, The Hamptons, and Long Island, are recognized as some of the country’s finest grape-growing and wine-producing AVAs.
Most of the acreage is Vinifera grapes. Merlot, Cabernet Franc, Cabernet Sauvignon, and Chardonnay are the main varietals. Still, others include Chenin Blanc, Dolcetto, Gewurztraminer, Lemberger, Malbec, Petit Verdot, Pinot Blanc, Pinot Gris, Pinot Noir, Riesling, Sangiovese, Sauvignon Blanc, Semillon, Syrah, Tocai Friulano, and Viognier.
One of my favorites is Kontakosta in Greenport. The winery is set back in the vineyard at least a quarter of a mile from the street. You come upon this majestic building designed and built with reclaimed barn wood and glass. On a clear day of the Long Island Sound, there is a magnificent view at the end of the property. This is the only vineyard with a view of the sound.
Great wines are produced only a short drive from New York City and other major East Coast cities. Come to Long Island’s North Fork and experience some of the best wines in the U.S. without traveling very far! Our Bed and Breakfast near Greenport is just the place to stay during your East End Long Island wineries tour.
- Sparkling Pointe, a winery in Southold, specializes in sparkling wines. Cynthia and Tom Rosicki, a couple who fell in love with the beauty and potential of the North Fork of Long Island, founded Sparkling Pointe. Their passion for creating exceptional sparkling wines and promoting the region has helped to make Sparkling Pointe one of the premier wineries in the area. The winery’s focus on traditional winemaking methods and its commitment to quality over quantity has led to numerous accolades and awards, including being named “Winery of the Year” by the New York Wine and Grape Foundation. Sparkling Pointe produces sparkling wines, just as its name suggests, including Brut, Rosé, Blanc de Blancs, and others. My favorite is the Brut. The winery uses traditional methods to deliver its wines, including hand riddling and disgorging, allowing maximum flavor and character in the final product. The winery also has a tasting room and outdoor patio with vineyard views, making it a beautiful and relaxing destination for wine lovers. They often run out of blends that become popular. The winery hosts various events throughout the year, including live music performances, food and wine pairing events, and educational vineyard tours.
- Bedell Cellars is a family-owned winery founded by Kip Bedell in 1980 and located in Cutchogue. It has since become one of the most acclaimed wineries in the region. Bedell Cellars produces various wines, including Chardonnay, Cabernet Franc, Merlot, and blends. The winery is mainly known for its Merlo which has won numerous awards and accolades, including being served at the presidential inauguration of Barack Obama in 2013. Visitors to Bedell Cellars can enjoy wine tastings, tours of the vineyard and winery, and special events throughout the year.
- Macari Vineyards is a family-owned winery located in Mattituck. The vineyard was founded in 1995 and has since become one of the region’s most highly-regarded and largest wineries, with over 500 acres cultivated. Macari Vineyards produces various wines, including Chardonnay, Sauvignon Blanc, Riesling, Cabernet Franc, Merlot, and blends. The vineyard is mainly known for its Bordeaux-style red blends, which have won numerous awards and accolades. My favorite is Cab Franc. The vineyard is certified as both a sustainable and organic winery. Its beautiful location, dedication to organic farming, and exceptional wines make it a standout in the region. The winery has a tasting room and outdoor patio with vineyard views.
- Paumanock Vineyards, one of the earliest to plant grapes, is a family-owned and operated winery in Aquebogue. The vineyard was founded in 1983 by The Massouds. The vineyard has won many awards, including the 2015 Festival of New York State Wines Governor’s Cup for their 2010 Merlot Grand Vintage. The 2018 New York Wine Classic for their 2016 Cabernet Sauvignon was named the Best Red Wine of the competition. In 2019 at the New York Wine Classic, Paumonock won the prestigious Governor’s Cup for their 2017 Riesling as the Best Wine in New York State. Paumonock won the 2020 New York Wine Classic for their 2016 Grand Vintage Merlot, which won the Best Merlot category. In addition to its wines, Paumanock Vineyards is known for its commitment to sustainability and environmental stewardship. The vineyard has implemented several practices to reduce its carbon footprint, including solar panels, rainwater harvesting, and installing electric vehicle charging stations. Visitors to Paumanock Vineyards can enjoy wine tastings, tours of the vineyard and winery, and special events throughout the year.
- The Old Field Vineyards is a family-owned winery located in Southold. Run by a mother-daughter team, the vineyard was founded in 1974. The Old Field Vineyards produces various wines, including Chardonnay, Pinot Noir, Merlot, Cabernet Franc, and blends. The vineyard is known for its focus on sustainable farming practices and minimal intervention in the winemaking process, allowing the grapes’ natural flavors to shine through. Its commitment to preserving the natural beauty of the region, dedication to sustainable farming, and exceptional wines make it a standout in the area. One of the unique features of The Old Field Vineyards is its history. The property has been in the Baiz family for over 100 years. The original farmhouse and barns have been preserved and restored. The winery also has a tasting room and outdoor patio with views of the vineyard and Peconic Bay, making it a beautiful and relaxing destination for wine lovers.